Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Teachers

Bumper stickers aren't as prevalent as they were in the 70's, but I saw a throwback this week on the rear of a Volvo SUV that struck home: "If you can read this, thank a teacher." Come to think of it, for most anything you can do, thank a teacher; however, gratitude rarely flows in the direction of these professionals of transformation. French-born American historian of ideas and culture Jacques Martin Barzun hits the proverbial nail on the head: "Teaching is not a lost art, but the regard for it is a lost tradition." I'll never understand or agree with the inequity in this country that sees teachers on the average make less than plumbers or arborists.

In a wonderful coincidence, with the bumper sticker proverb still fresh on my mind, I received a phone call today from my third grade elementary school teacher. We've only communicated a handful of times since she broke my nine year old heart and married someone her own age about forty five years ago, so this was special. What made it even more special was that she called just to tell me that she is proud of me. Amazing! Although she phoned to tell me that I have blessed her life, the reality is that she is the blessing, having helped to shape my mind and forge my thirst to know into something palpable. No matter how long I live, I will read and think and question in her beautiful shadow. 

The fact is not lost on me that others have left their mark--professors, coaches, pastors, mentors, neighbors, relatives, colleagues, friends--with one thing in common, they gave something of themselves that in turn made more of me than I would have been without them. Teachers always deposit more than they withdraw. So, if you are reading this, thank a teacher; better yet, pause and utter a simple prayer of thanks for all those who have deposited something of themselves in you.
"You have heard me teach things that have been confirmed by many reliable witnesses. Now teach these truths to other trustworthy people who will be able to pass them on to others." (2 Timothy 2:2, New Living Translation)

No comments: