Monday, August 04, 2014

Grace Chronicles: "Sweet Exchange"

Far more important than something to read about, grace is a way of life. Divine mercy may be a theological concept to some, but for me it is a necessity. Grace is practical Christianity. One example of its relevance in ordinary circumstance is how grace instructs and empowers me to deal with "irregular people" (my wife's clever phrasing). Yes, there are some who grind on my nerves like grating Parmesan cheese, and I imagine that the feeling is mutual. I find it entirely possible on the basis of God's grace to fully forgive, refuse bitterness, refrain from criticizing, even though I may still not like someone or want to be around them. Not quite as easily, grace empowers me to forgive myself, even though at times I'd prefer to be anyone but me.  Whether I am learning to forgive someone else or to pardon myself, God's grace is the touch point that changes everything. 

Consider a selection from an obscure second century writer (Epistle to Diognetus) and see if your heart resonates: 
“He gave His own Son as a ransom for us, the holy One for transgressors, the blameless One for the wicked, the righteous One for the unrighteous, the incorruptible One for the corruptible, the immortal One for them that are mortal. For what other thing was capable of covering our sins than His righteousness? By what other one was it possible that we, the wicked and ungodly, could be justified, than by the only Son of God? O sweet exchange! O unsearchable operation! O benefits surpassing all expectation! That the wickedness of many should be hid in a single righteous One, and that the righteousness of One should justify many transgressors!”

(Source: The Epistle to Diognetus, 9.2-5)

No comments: