Saturday, August 02, 2014

Grace Chronicles: "People-Watching and Grace"

People-watching in public places is a great way to meditate on grace. I did just that this afternoon in an unexpected location. The conference I attended this week in Chicago ended a bit early today, so since my flight is not until tomorrow morning I fulfilled one of the items on my bucket list by going to The Field Museum of Natural Science on the shore of Lake Michigan in downtown Chicago. Museum map in hand, I set off on my adventure, and it didn't take long to recognize that the old "melting pot" adage is apropos in Chicago. I listened to those around me speak--senior adults, younger adults, children--and before long I was homesick for the English language. At one point, I looked to the museum map for orientation, only to find that it was printed in French! Moving from exhibit to exhibit, I felt like I was navigating a mosque or Hindu temple. I haven't been around that many head coverings, saris, and salwar kameez since I lived in Ahmedabad, India.

At this point you're probably wondering what any of this has to do with God's grace. Actually, it has everything to do with it. People-watching, especially where diverse cultures intersect, highlights the tremendous diversity among us culturally and individually. There is no end to human variables, but the one constant is the love of God.  Grace refuses to force individuals into a mold cast to fit someone else; the Gospel of Christ is a narrative of grace, custom fit for my story and yours.  This truly Good News is that God knows me. He's acquainted with my story; in fact, He's helping to write it. His grace comes to find me wherever I am and speaks a language I can understand. Grace never requires me to imitate anyone other than Christ.

"The narrative of grace may start with my failure, but it does not linger there. My self-image culminates in the Cross of Jesus Christ. He died for me so that I may be united with the Father through him and may serve my neighbor just as he has served me... The narrative of grace makes me the grateful recipient of God’s extravagant, unmerited love. It moves me to serve all the other broken people, the people just like me" (The Very Rev. Dr. Jacob W. Owensby).

No comments: