Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Reaction

Worship is awareness, not activity. When understood in reverse, the focus of worship shifts to the act itself rather the Lord God Almighty Himself. Herein lies the terrible crux of the so called "worship wars." When battling over modes of worship or styles of music in worship, we march proudly away from God's presence and slink into incipient self-worship. Attention shifts from the Creator to creature comfort--our own fervor, our loudness, our posture, our musical preference, or any number of other details that place us at the center of the universe. Scripture offers a multitude of worship postures and expressions, but never loses sight of Holy God. Remember, worship is always reaction rather than initiation--I see God, I hear God, I know God is near; therefore, I respond to Him. Worship as initiation is idolatry and always produces preoccupation with form rather than Substance.
"Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth." (Psalm 46:10, KJV)

No comments: