Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Geriatric Limbo

It's either much too early or much too late to be writing, but either way I'm too awake to avoid the urge. Our oldest grandson is playing in a state little league baseball tournament a couple of hours away from our home, so we left after work for the game and just returned home close to midnight. It was a close game (we won 3-2), the umpiring poor (in my determined opinion), and the worst part was that the coach never inserted our grandson into the lineup even though he played all season and is every bit as good as the other players on the team, including the "pick up" players from other teams for the tournament. Such are the grand-parental moments that add purpose to the thinning & greying hair, and discoloration to the bags suspended and inflating below my eyes. I've somehow reached a stage of geriatric limbo--I fall asleep in my chair while "watching" TV, then can't find my way back to lala land after retiring to bed.  This somehow reminds of Paul's words in the New Testament, something to the effect that I do the things I don't want to do and fail to do that which I should--call it a kind of senior disequilibrium. Now, if only I can summon the 'umph' to translate insomnia into productivity.  Whoever said you're only as old as you feel wasn't old or he wouldn't have said it; he would either have been drinking coffee to stave off the dropsies or been hitting the fridge in search of a slumber-inducing combination.  What was it Bugs Bunny used to ask, "What's up Doc?" Perhaps understanding this is too much to ask and I should be content with knowing that at least I won't have long to toss and turn before bracing for another round of life. I really don't mind getting older, I only hope the perks of aging outweigh the senior moments.

No comments: