Friday, July 25, 2014

Anger

I wrestle with the whole "be ye angry and sin not" concept (Ephesians 4:26). It's not that I question the inspiration or authority of the Apostle Paul's admonition; my struggle is with putting it into practice. Part A is no problem for me. I've been angry more times than I care to admit, and I come from a long line of people quite adept at reaching high levels of emotional frustration. No, the question mark comes into play with Part B: "sin not." If I'm upset enough to qualify as angry, it's rare when my inner turmoil doesn't boil over into sin. Either I begin to beat up on myself, or inwardly I want to beat up on someone else. Letting go without lingering bitterness is a difficult pill to swallow. So, what did Paul intend and how do I obey the command? My best take on this is that the anger Paul condones is a proper attitude and corresponding action toward any kind of injustice. We see this displayed by Jesus Christ himself as he upset the apple carts of the corrupt temple cashiers. There's no getting around it, the injustice of the practice of cheating worshippers out of their hard earned money set Jesus off, and he acted on the emotion. The kicker is that in doing so, he didn't sin. He refused to harbor bitterness and he didn't lose control. Above all, he didn't disgrace his Father by making it personal. In contrast, I tend toward dis-grace when I blow my top. Disgrace turns into guilt, guilt slips into shame, and shame promotes anger. The only remedy I've found for this vicious cycle is self-crucifixion and Spirit fulness. 'Father, put me to death and fill the void with your Holy Spirit.'

"Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: Neither give place to the devil. Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth. Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you."
(Ephesians 4:26-32 KJV)

No comments: