Wednesday, February 26, 2014

T. H. Harding

Do you ever really lose a mentor?  I learned today that my childhood pastor has taken his final step across to the other side in order to kneel before his Savior and King. T. H. Harding served as pastor of the Trinity Baptist Church in Port Arthur, Texas, from the time that I was in elementary school until some point in my college years. For me, he was larger than life--not in stature but in spiritual status. He 'owned' the pulpit and conveyed his own brand of godly swag in vested suits. As he leaned and paced and gestured and challenged and pleaded, he urged us toward the heart of God.  Lifelong lessons are ingrained due to this godly mentor. I learned how to preach by observing and, in turn, imitating him. I now know and teach this in leadership development theory as "imitation modeling", but back then it was more reflex than learned response. One imitates what one respects most, and I have always respected Bro. Harding. His passion for Christ and Christ's Church infected me with what I hope is an incurable and contagious disease. From him I caught the wind of missions and will forever move with a heart for the nations as a result. He branded my thinking that brokenness is prerequisite for revival; therefore, my own heart whispers a prayer for spiritual awakening in muted tones modeled after the cry of Welsh coal miner Evan Roberts, "Lord, bend me." This I learned from my mentor. What else did I learn from him as a young ministerial student? Instead of asking what I learned about pastoral ministry from T. H. Harding, one might better ask what didn't I learn from him?  I miss him already, but cannot bring myself to mourn his home going. This is because I believe he is right now enjoying what he taught so eloquently as future grace. Live on my pastor, my mentor, and look for me. I leave you with one final request-- pray that I, too, finish well.

No comments: