Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Released from Clay

Transition came silently and, as of 4:30 pm this afternoon, Poppi is released from the confused confines of the clay he lived in. I'm not intelligent enough to explain in metaphysical detail what took place when breath and heartbeat ceased, but I am wise enough to admit that I do not know how to explain it. Some say death is the start of a grand journey toward the ultimate reunion. My thoughts run counter to such linear speculation for I see heaven as a matter of dimension, not distance. Heaven is not a far off place--some biblical Land of Oz--and the Father is not, as Bette Midler sang, in the distance. Scripture throbs with passionate cadence that God is near, making heaven not a trip, but a mere step.  It is what Marcus Borg calls, "Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time."  For all I'm worth I believe that Poppi has now met Jesus again for the first time, and the only waiting for him is for the opportunity to introduce us.

No comments: