Saturday, March 01, 2014

Herding Cats in Pajamas

"I saw you outside herding cats in pajamas, so thought I'd stop by for a moment."  My neighbor's statement took me by surprise as did his uncharacteristic early morning stop on his way to teach at the local community college. I never know quite what to expect from my friend; he is, after all, a musician. As he spoke to me from inside his truck, I stood exposed in blue tartan plaid lounging pants, ETBU T-shirt, and Joseph A. Banks slippers (I single them out because I'm quite pleased with myself for having found them at a bargain basement price), while our Calico and Himalayan played figure eights around my ankles. When our brief conversation concluded and my neighbor headed off to his collegiate destination, my attention turned to two obnoxious cats, now circling at a frenetic clip. Having acquiesced to their morning demands, I had pause to reflect on my friend's curious phrase, "herding cats in pajamas," and the thought struck hard -- that's what I've been doing my entire adult life as a "minister." Vocational Christian ministry is much akin to herding cats, a frustrating divine assignment that leaves the minister entirely exposed and frequently embarrassed.  We are exposed because ministry demands transparency or else it is merely play acting.  In turn, transparency makes the minister vulnerable to regular criticism and occasional accolades, both of which are damaging to her/his servant spirit. And the payoff? Watching cats trapse in figure eights around your ankles while feeling helpless to stop the circus. So, what would motivate anyone to stoop to such ridiculous servitude?  What could possibly enamor enough to seduce one to herd cats day after day and year after year?  I can only answer with the phrase the Apostle Paul invoked when contemplating his own herd of cats, "Therefore, since through God's mercy we have this ministry, we do not lose heart" (2 Co 4:1).  Ministry of any kind is grace. Thanks be to God for his indescribable mercy! 

No comments: