Friday, February 14, 2014

Granting Grace

How should I respond when what appears best for someone else does not feel reciprocal?  How does one conjur up congratulations when one would much rather retire to the mourning chair and offer anything but encouraging accolades?  To be blatant about it, I'm asking how one postures her or himself when instead of joyfully patting the other on her or his back you are more keenly aware of what feels like a knife shank protruding out of your own? Betrayal is the word that threatens to sour on the brain while others speak of God's leadership or, on a higher spiritual plane, God's " call."  These are, perhaps, the moments that most pungently drag agape into light. Is God's love emotionally based or entirely a matter of volition? I certainly hope and believe that God's love toward me is a matter of objective grace rather than a subjective momentary knee-jerk.  If that is so, and I gladly stake my eternal destiny to that hope, do not others deserve the same from me? I find far too much in common with the unjust steward who, while forgiven an impossible debt, invokes collection on a minuscule amount. It's not the world that's too much with me, but myself that bullies me around. What harm can be done in forgiving? What downside is there to choosing liberty over slavery? I will work on allowing others space to be different from me, and freedom to act and choose what I might select for myself under role reversal. Grace doesn't always feel good to grant, but it is always the higher choice. 

No comments: