Monday, March 24, 2014

Sacred Space

Everyone holds certain places as sacred space.  I'm convinced that underlying much of Scripture is a theology of "place", and I see it at play in the most ordinary of moments and locations--a bush, a mountain, a well, a tent. In fact, associated meaning that connects to something or someone beyond the physical space transfigures ordinary into extraordinary. One such place is the dining room of our humble dwelling. By anyone's standards, ours would be considered somewhat commonplace. Granted, my wife has done a masterful job of arranging and decorating (she is a master of space management and visual effect), but the only thing out of the ordinary in our dining room is the handmade round wooden table that came from my wife's sister when we married. Our dining room is sacred for more important reasons. This room to the left of our front entrance is not often used, but when it is hosts a precious occasion-- the gathering of family. In addition to the table, we have six matching oak chairs, one of which is adorned with arms. That seat is considered Papa's chair (I'm Papa), and it has become a tradition with my grandchildren to see who can get to the chair before I do, and great smiles and glee accompany any coup d'état. On the surface it seems we do nothing more than share an occasional meal here, but what really transpires in this space is the mingling of lives and tightening of family ties.  We write a significant part of our family history here. Even when I sit alone, I can still imagine the familial conversations and relive the laughter.  Perhaps I call this place sacred because it embodies what I hold most dear--that we are created for relationship, and nothing in life is more akin to living in the image of God than the mutual investment we enjoy as family. I understand why Jesus portrayed heaven at one point as a dining room with family seated around the table, and evangelism as imploring those outside the family to take a seat among kith and kin. I may never have the nerve to dart toward the Father's armed chair, but no doubt I will endlessly relish the joy of being part of the forever family in God's dining room.

No comments: