Saturday, June 21, 2014

Glory Days

Glory days are never as interesting to those hearing the retelling as they are to those doing the reliving of them. After a satisfying session yesterday at the driving range, I settled in to a corner booth at the course cafe, ready to eat a turkey melt while enjoying the view of the 10th tee and Lake Waco in the distance. Off to my left was a small but boisterous group of men divvying up wins and losses from the morning's golf. It was all I could do to shut out the less than uplifting vocabulary, but I couldn't ignore their yesteryear conversation. Every story was at least 50 years old and each narrator just so happened to be the hero of his own story. My otherwise tasty sandwich didn't settle so well, the digesting of it disturbed by all the hot air and diatribes from the overweight and over lubricated wannabes. When they finally cleared out, I lingered willingly in their wake, appreciating the silence and space for quiet reflection. Right then and there I determined to spend more time focusing on and sharing about what God is doing today, than living in the shadow of past experiences and promoting myself as the hero of any story. Testimony time should be like show and tell in a child's classroom, less about a past experience and much more about the current effect of that decision. Father, deliver me from filibustering about glory days and glorious moments, and grant me grace to tell what you are doing in my life and the world right now. Glory should always be shared in the present tense.

No comments: