Sunday, January 12, 2014

Looking Over My Shoulder Into Eternity

This is the third time in recent months to have basically the same unsettling experience. After officiating at the funeral service of a 92 year old church member, I led the procession across the road from the church to the Bosqueville Cemetery for the internment.  Standing in front of an intimate cluster of family members of the deceased with the coffin behind me awaiting its final descent, I could not help but sneak a glance over my shoulder at the cemetery plots my wife and I purchased for ourselves a year ago.  It's an odd feeling to be pronouncing the final committal for someone while thinking about the inevitability of your own just across the way at some undisclosed future moment.  What will it be like to pass from this life into the next? How will I finish this race I'm on? Who will I have influenced toward Christ on my journey to eternity?  While I have followed the sage advice to listen to my life and find God's saving and sustaining grace in the ordinary? Will I finish well?  So many questions when looking over your shoulder into eternity.

No comments: