Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Endorsements

I received electronic notice this morning that a colleague has "endorsed" me on Linked In for certain skills supposedly I possess. While I appreciate the sentiment and gracious intent, I know myself much too well to feel flattered by the gesture. Too well I identify with the Apostle's self-deprecating assessment--"There is nothing good in me."Some may protest such honest evaluation as undue criticism or harmful self-condemnation; however, I deem it simply facing facts, admitting harsh truth at face value. The key to growth, in my opinion, is not in the acknowledging but in the adjusting. As I confess my short-comings, I stand on the edge of potential improvement. God's Word never upholds inward judgment for the sake of judgment; instead, evaluation is always for the purpose of development. Don't get me wrong--endorsements are nice, but in the end what matters most is a productive response to honest self-examination.

No comments: