Sunday, May 26, 2013

Enemy of the Best

"Whenever right is made the guidance in the life, it will blunt the spiritual insight.  The great enemy of the life of faith in God is not sin, but the good which is not good enough.  The good is always the enemy of the best... Many of us do not go on spiritually because we prefer to choose what is right instead of relying on God to choose for us.  We have to learn to walk according to the standard which has its eye on God." (Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest)

When left to myself I choose comfort over commitment everytime.  That is precisely the reason I cannot leave choices up to me--I must live the crucified life so that the choice is always up to Him.  Death to self does not mean an unfathomable void ethically or otherwise; instead, crucifixion means fullness and spiritual altitude--life on a higher plane than I would have chosen for myself otherwise.  In order to soar, we must first die.  

No comments: