Saturday, September 01, 2012

Reluctant Evolution

Change is inevitable externally and should be embraced internally, but I confess to frequent bursts of reluctance. Something about sameness conjures an illusion of wholeness, while possibly masking stagnation. Yet these days I am forced to admit certain unexpected evolution personally. Growing up my concern was always serving God and others with such intensity that I disdained any thought of material success or financial security. I was following the way of the cross and way of St. Francis, thinking the cross incompatible with commerce and service at odds with financial security. Years later, I find myself Director of Major Gifts for a private institution, immersed in scrutiny of financial markets, giving trends in the private sector, and gift & estate planning options. What's more, over the past few years I've met gracious and generous Kingdom minded people that just so happen to be persons that work hard to earn a profit. Commerce is not the enemy of the Cross after all and servanthood may be found at the top rung of the corporate ladder.

Another component of this silent self-evolution is the accelerated dawning that politics are not of the devil and that Christians should aggressively participate--promoting and insisting on morality, virtue and integrity in elected leaders, from the White House to the State House. Never before in this country has it been as necessary to rouse the Christian army to full political stature. We cannot hide behind stained glass, hoping this pall shadow will pass. I am finally ready for muscular political involvement in order to preserve this one nation under God. Lest I leave this paragraph vague, let me encourage every American to vote for Mitt Romney for president on November 6!

No comments: